Commercial Sheet Metal: Did You Know?
The roofing and sheet metal industry is growing in production rate, revenue and projects. Right now it ranks as the third largest U.S. manufacturing industry when measured by employment rates too!
With things on the rise, we wanted to share a few industry-wide facts that may surprise you about the commercial sheet metal side of Cornell Roofing & Sheet Metal:
- Sheet metal fabrication boomed from the 1990s to the mid 2000s, until a down time during the recession of 2009. After bouncing back, sheet metal drove revenues over $28 billion in 2015.
- In 2015, there were more than 58,000 locally owned and operated sheet metal fabrication companies across the US.
- Sheet metal employment is projected to grow by 7 percent by 2024, matching the average rate for all other occupation types.
- In 2013, California, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Wisconsin produced more than half of all the output of fabricated sheet metal products in the industry.
- Also in 2013, 47 percent of shipments were from Alabama, Indiana Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas.
- In 2015, the highest paid 10 percent of sheet metal workers earned more than $80,000 a year.
- The primary metals most often purchased in sheet metal are aluminum bar, tube, sheet or plate; hot or cold steel; and stainless steel.
- The most common uses for sheet metal include:
- Air conditioning ducts and furnace flues
- Air cowls
- Awnings, canopies, cornices, and soffits
- Coal chutes
- Culverts, flumes, and irrigation pipes
- Electronic casings
- Food vats and bins
- Roofs, roof drainage equipment, and gutters
- Sheet metal flooring and siding
- Ship ventilators
- Stovepipes and hoods
With all this growth, now is a great time to be a part of the roofing and sheet metal industry! And, Cornell Roofing and Sheet Metal is proud to be leading the way. If you’re interested in a career in the commercial sheet metal industry, your first stop is Sheet Metal Workers’ Union No. 2: http://www.sheetmetal2.org/
Cornell Roofing & Sheet Metal, celebrating our 90th Anniversary in 2017! Visit us online at: www.cornellroofing.com